Anti-malware engine auto-updated to scan JAR and Android apps on-the-fly
St. Petersburg, Russia — January 27, 2012. Users of Outpost Pro anti-virus received an automatic minor upgrade for anti-virus engine and virus database. This new engine carries the internal version number 5.4.1 and works smoothly with the latest malware database format (v14).
1) Added support for Java Archive and Android application package file formats to the Windows kernel mode engine component.
Now the on-access engine will scan files in this format on-the-fly; support for this format was previously only available through on-demand scanning.
2) Started adjusting detection of samples classified as "grayware".
We have begun reclassifying our existing detections for "grayware" samples (software which is neither fully "clean" nor 100% malware) into three new groups:
- "unwanted" files — not harmful but potentially unwanted by user (for example, cracks and keygens);
- "unsafe" files —might be harmful, but there may be a legitimate reason to be on the user’s PC (for example, commercial keyloggers or password crackers);
- "grayware" — everything else that is not true malware but should be detected (primarily adware).
We will inform you when Outpost anti-malware products will include fully updated "grayware" database.
NB! Outpost Security Suite Pro 7.5.2 Release Candidate version will be available later for download and testing. Watch this space!
Agnitum International PR