Agnitum Directions (27 September, 2006)
- Product update: Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 Released!
- Service update: ImproveNet 4.0 – Secure Firewall Settings Made Easy
- Security issues: What happens when Windows is under attack – from the Ethernet?
- Case study: Outpost protects Messe Munich GmbH
- Renewal discount: Just 1 minute of your time gets you 25% discount on your Outpost Firewall Pro renewal
- Special Offer: award winning WinRAR 3.61 – get 20% percent off! Only today!
This month has really been something for the Agnitum development and testing team, as Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 finally was made available for public download. I want to thank all our users for their patience and understanding that it takes time for a product to meet our exacting standards. In this newsletter, we take the opportunity to look more closely at the ImproveNet improvements in v4.0. You’ll also read about how computers are vulnerable to attacks from within the local network, and a European success story for Outpost Network Security.
Editor, Agnitum Directions
Product update: Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 Released!
Agnitum is proud to announce that Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 is at last available. With this release, Outpost has set a new standard in the level and types of protection that personal firewalls will be expected to provide in future. Even before the product was released, Outpost 4.0 had already been christened “best firewall” by its users.
You can read more about what’s new in Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0
More about ID-theft protection
For those of you interested in how Outpost 4.0 performs against all known leaktests, take a look at the Information Leak Prevention in Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 white paper on our website.
Here is a short summary:
Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 is the first personal firewall to offer anti-leak technology that passes all known leak-tests and is specifically designed to prevent malware programs from transmitting information out of a protected computer by hijacking a trusted application’s access permissions.
The paper focuses on the breadth of protection provided by Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 to prevent personal and confidential information from leaking out of PCs and into the hands of hackers and cyber criminals. Real-world examples show how Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 passes all recognized third-party leak tests, providing significant additional security for Internet-connected PC users.
Version 4.0 Upgrade Instructions
Registered users of Outpost Firewall PRO (1.0/2.1/2.5/2.6/2.7/3.0/3.5/3.51):
Will my Outpost 3.51 registration key work with Outpost 4.0?
If you use Outpost 3.51 or any other previous versions of Outpost, and your license key has not expired, you can use it with Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 with no limitations.
Service update: ImproveNet 4.0 – Secure Firewall Settings Made Easy
As you know, Outpost uses a system called ImproveNet to collect individual users’ Outpost Firewall Pro access configurations and use them to create new application access rules and global firewall settings that can be distributed back out to all users. Access rules distributed to users with ImproveNet are verified by Agnitum security experts as valid and completely safe to use.
ImproveNet offers four key benefits:
- User safety – access rules distributed through ImproveNet are completely safe to use.
- Easy to use – access rules are applied automatically and only when necessary. You don’t need to do anything
- Coverage – access rules are available for than 70% of the most common application access rulesets.
- Local and Internet protection – access rules are applied for inbound and outbound connections and for local application interactions, a vital aspect of private data theft prevention.
In Outpost 4.0, ImproveNet gathers information at the local PC level about how programs interact. These new local rules are automatically updated for ImproveNet subscribers and used to differentiate between safe and unsafe activities. This approach provides a new level of security over local processes.
Figure 1: ImproveNet 3.5
As shown above, rules users received with their ImproveNet subscription under Outpost Firewall Pro v3.51 affect inbound and outbound traffic and connections with the Internet, but not local connections.
Figure 2: ImproveNet 4.0
Now we can see in Outpost 4.0 that users benefit from an additional layer of protection. In addition to previous inbound/outbound protection, ImproveNet subscribers also receive security rules governing application interactions at the local network level.
If you’d like to understand more about how ImproveNet works, visit the special area on our website. You’ll also find charts and graphs illustrating the level of coverage ImproveNet is achieving at any given time.
The ImproveNet section provides:
- Service description
- Technical characteristics
Security issues: What happens when Windows is under attack – from the Ethernet?
Agnitum’s leading security expert and Chief Software Architect Alexei Belkin has been studying what happens to Windows PCs when certain Ethernet conditions exist – and how Outpost is uniquely equipped to resolve the resulting slowdown. You can read the complete article on our blog.
Case study: Outpost protects Messe Munich GmbH computers
Messe Munich, the leading trade show organizer in Southern Germany, selected Outpost Network Security after an extensive onsite evaluation in which three security products were tested for:
- A reliable defense for desktop and mobile PC users against hackers, Trojans, spyware, keyloggers, and other malicious software.
- Easy-to-use administration controls that require minimal IT resources to manage.
- Robust protection for corporate electronic assets as well as for customers’ and partners’ data held on company PCs.
- A cost-effective, comprehensive security solution.
We are proud to say that Outpost Network Security won against tough competition from its rivals and is now installed on more than 500 desktop and laptop computers at Messe Munich GmbH.
You can read the full story at our website.
Renewal discount: Just 1 minute of your time gets you 25% discount on your Outpost Firewall Pro renewal
Help us out by answering three simple questions in our survey on trends in information security and receive a 25% discount on your Outpost Firewall Pro renewal .
Submit your opinion >>
Special Offer: award winning WinRAR 3.61 – get 20% percent off! Only today!
We have partnered with win.rar GmbH to offer the latest version of award winning software, WinRAR 3.61 with many additional and improved features at an incredible discount of 20% off for all Agnitum customers. WinRAR is a powerful archiver and archive manager and the best compression tool on the market. RAR files can usually compress content up to 30 % better than ZIP files.
WinRAR's main features include:
- Very strong general and multimedia compression
- Archive protection from damage
- Solid compression
- Processing of ZIP and other non-RAR archives
- Scanning archives for viruses
- Windows x64 shell integration.
Save 20% from Reg. Price